Ah, Houston. Home of Nasa's Johnson Space center and the most populous city in Texas, Houston is an excellent place for acquiring quality dental care. If you are looking for quality dental implants, Houston is definitely a good place. So, what is the cost of dental implants in Houston? We'll explore this and a little bit on dental implants in general in this article and we should be able to answer this question to your satisfaction.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are a modern marvel. Metal frames or posts that are affixed to your jaw, they allow dentists to install replacement teeth directly onto them. There are two types of frames that are endorsed as being safe by the American Dental Association:
- Subperiosteal implants - With Subperiosteal implants, a metal frame is fitted to the jawbone in a manner where the gums will grow over it. This results in the frame becoming firmly fixed in place, The frame also has a number of posts which protrude from the gums which may be used for affixing artificial teeth. Pretty cool, no?
- Endosteal implants - Endosteal implants are installed directly into your jawbone, After the gum tissue has healed, your dentist then performs a second surgery where they attach a post to this frame. At this point, an artificial tooth(or more than one) may be put in place on the post. Voila! Now you have new teeth!
Sounds great, but how do you take care of them?
Care of your new dental implants is actually quite easy. There are a few things that you will need to do but nothing that will greatly upset your daily routine. Care tips for your dental implants is as follows:
- Nylon coated interdental brush - You'll want to obtain one of these as they are great for cleaning in hard to reach places. The nylon coating is a boon as well, as it is very easy on the gums. Get one and you'll see, these brushes are nice to have and a great way to keep those implants clean.
- Clean twice a day - You can use a standard toothbrush for this, just make sure its a soft bristle variety so that you don't irritate the gums.
- Special Floss - You can clean with floss that is designed specifically for your implants or, as an alternative, you can use any brand of un-waxed tape floss.
- Toothpaste - You will want to use a less abrasive toothpaste. If you do a google search on 'toothpaste rda levels' you can pull up a list of brands that are rated for how abrasive each brand is. This should help you to locate a good toothpaste to use for cleaning your new implants.
Costs of Dental Implants in Houston, Tx
So, you've decided that you like the idea of getting some implants for yourself and now you are wondering about the cost. Cheap and affordable dental implants may be obtained in Houston with a little bit of 'shopping around'. There are some important factors that will affect the bottom-line pricewise, however. We've made a list of these items so that you will be able to get a better sense of what may be involved in the process. The cost factors are as follows:
- Total number of implants - If you are getting more than one implant then the cost will be affected. Also, the level of expertise possessed by your dentist will be an important factor as well, as it will determine whether or not they have the expertise to put multiple implants on one frame.
- Restorative work - If there is some pre-existing damage to your jaw then bone grafts may be required before you are a candidate for dental implants.
- Material selection - Some dentists can offer zircon-based frames for your dental implants to bring down the cost. It should be noted, however, that titanium frames are superior and much stronger. Titanium will cost more but it will also give you stronger frames so this is definitely something to consider.
“Endosteal implants are installed directly into your jawbone.”
- Location of the implant - Endosteal implants reside directly on the jaw and may not be an option if your jaw is weakened. In that case, you would want to go with subperiosteal implants which would reside underneath your gums.
- Bite testing - Prior to the installation of your frames, the dentist may want to run some tests to get an idea of the alignment of your bite. This is required in some cases to ensure a good fit and to avoid potential complications that could arise with dental implants and a misaligned bite.
Cost-wise, with new updates to insurance plans taken into consideration, the cost of dental implants in Houston is approximately $1500 to as high as $6000. This depends on the factors that we have listed for you as well as the dentist that you are using. There are ways to save money when you are getting dental implants in Houston, however, and we've compiled a few of them for you:
- Dental schools - Dental schools will typically offer low-cost care where a student, observed by a seasoned dentist, will perform the work that you need.
- Discount dental plans - Find a plan that covers dental implants and reap the savings!
- Charitable Organizations - Some charities will provide assistance if you fit a certain demographic, such as being a domestic abuse survivor, disabled, and a number of other categories. Check local charities to see if you are eligible for assistance.
There you have it! If you are looking for teeth implants in Houston you are now prepared to know exactly what you are looking for and what other factors might be involved. Houston is a sprawling metropolis and you are sure to find any number of experienced dental professionals to assist you in obtaining your implants. Make your smile complete again and share it with the world!